Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Calendar Time

Since we're starting up our new year next month, I decided it would be a good idea to start having calendar time.  Or at least preparing for it.  I searched for the perfect printable, but just couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  Of course that means I had to make my own! ;)  Feel free to use mine and edit it or share it around but please don't post my work on your blog.  Make a link to my page, please.  And sorry.  I'd planned to upload the documents to google drive, but it changed my formatting.  I'll work on that and see if I can upload it later.





The plan with the calendar is to color in or trace name of the month and year on the first class day of the month and color or trace the date number each day.  I also want to talk about exciting things happening that week or month and put some sort of marker or sticker on the date we're looking forward to.  For example, when the kids get to visit grandparents we'll put a special mark.  When we're planning a field trip, we'll have a different mark.  I'm hoping this will help develop an understanding of time passing.

The plan with the weather graph is to check the weather each day.  We'll keep track of the weather patterns for each month and begin an understanding of making graphs.  Look there!  That's math AND science.  I'll let you know in a few weeks how it's going!

I love homeschooling!

What are you doing to prepare for "Back to School" time?

2 comments:

  1. What great ideas!!! I am still switching around what we do trying to find what the boys love and stay interested in. Right now for calendar it's just a regular 12 month calendar on the wall and we mark off the day once we discuss the month, day of the week, day, and year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a work in progress. For December we did an advent calendar instead, but we've really enjoyed counting days until fun events. Since I make the calendar myself I insert icons for birthdays, special events, and field trips, so it gives us a way to track days, weeks, and months. Plus, tracking weather patterns helps the girls understand it doesn't snow in July and so on.

      Delete