Friday, April 12, 2013

Who needs McDonald's oatmeal?!

On nippy mornings like today, oatmeal calls to me.  I like to avoid most of the excess processed junk they put in cereals, even in ready to eat oatmeal, so I make my own.  McDonald's has nothing on this.  When I saw that they were selling their fruit and maple oatmeal as a healthy breakfast, I actually thought, "Hey, that could seriously draw me in."  Then I realized I have all those ingredients at home and could make it for PENNIES.  So I do.  I make my own.  And it's fabulous and exactly how I like it.  And it's adjustable.  So, yeah, no need to DRIVE to get my breakfast. In the time it takes the water to boil, everything else is prepared.  All I do is stir.  This recipe is for a single adult serving, though my children eat it well, too, so sometimes I plan for that.  It's extremely easy to double or half for you needs.

My Fruit and Maple Oatmeal

Start the tea kettle to boil.
Combine in bowl:
1/2 cup or 2 packets plain quick oats (I have an excess from my WIC days, so I use that)
1 slice of green apple, chopped (whatever is leftover from breakfast gets munched)
1-2 Tbsp raisins (and/or craisins, nuts, coconut, etc)
1 tsp real maple syrup (pancake syrup is just flavored sugar water, but you at your will)
1 pat real butter (I refuse to eat that low-fat plastic butter substitute.)

When water is boiling, pour about 1 cup over your cereal and stir.  The boiling water softens the raisins and apples to perfection.  Let the oats soak up the water for a minute or two, then enjoy!  Feel free to modify with cinnamon or other spices, but the the fruit really has a great flavor and sweet all it's own.  The maple syrup adds a little punch to it.

Since I woke this morning feeling the affects of yesterday's high pollen count, I added a pinch of nettles to my oats.  It gives a subtle wholesome flavor without overpowering anything.  And now I can breathe.  Win, win. Oh, yes, and the kids love it this recipe.  Triple win.
I love their morning hair.  They just got up from a living room "sleepover."

No comments:

Post a Comment