Thursday, May 23, 2013

Flats Challenge Day 4: How am I doing with Handwashing?

Day 4: How am I doing with handwashing?

 Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry

We're on to the fourth day of the challenge.  It's actually become just a touch boring.  Using flats is very simple.  It's very much like using prefolds, but in some ways it's way better.  I've been handwashing in my camp-style washer about twice a day.  I'm still working out the kinks on using soap, but so far it looks like poop diapers need to agitate immediately then soak in detergent and baking soda.  I haven't timed the soaking.  I just set them in the bucket to soak and go about my day.  After an hour or two, I may have another diaper to toss in, too.  Then I do my usual, agitate 1 minute and drain.  Add hot water and soap, then agitate 5-10 minutes and drain.  Then one or two more rinse cycles.  I twist the wet flats to  get out the excess moisture then hang in the sun, if I can, or in the laundry room if I have to.  Within 3 hours they're dry, sometimes faster if the wind and sun are just right.

Yesterday I had to get inventive since I had my regular clothes laundry drying in the beautiful day, too. They still dry, though it would be faster if they were hanging on the line.  Luckily, I have more than enough flats and covers clean and available.

And, bonus, I got my hubby to help out with washing when I was out one day. :D
A special note I will add is that I decided to handwash the AIOs and microfiber inserts that were stinking up my diaper pail and it was a LOT of work.  They smelled awful and I think it's the microfiber.  I washed them many times and when I thought I finally got them clean, I decided to just toss them in the dryer since they have so many extra layers and we've had some humidity.  When they came out, they STILL smelled.  That's a real puzzler for me!

Tune in tomorrow to find out what's working for me and what's not.
Day 1: Why I took the Challenge
Day 2: How did I prepare?
Day 3: Dealing with Overnights

Day 5: What's working? What's not?
Day 6: Babysitter/Outings
Day 7: What did I learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment